Free guided reading lesson plans: Flat Stanley and The Big Lie

I’m back for
Thanks for stopping by today!

Today I want to highlight an anchor chart I found on Pinterest that I absolutely adore! I did not make this anchor chart!  This particular chart was made by Nancy at Teaching My Friends.  She credits getting the idea from a chart made by Danielle Mahoney at the Scholastic blogs.

I sure wish I would have seen this chart six years ago.  That was the year that I began my two-year-long stint as a 4th-5th grade guided reading teacher.  (At that time, my ESL position was changing from part-time to full-time, and I had been given a choice between switching to half-time reading, or keeping my ESL position and return to full-time teaching.  My youngest daughter wasn't quite at an age where I wanted to return to full-time teaching, so I switched positions to teach reading for two years.)

I have always loved reading so I was super-excited about my new position.  However, one week into the school year, I was overwhelmed, to say the least!  In this reading position, I saw 8 groups of 4th and 5th grade readers during my morning at school.  I could barely keep up reading all 8 chapter books at once and trying to stay ahead of my lesson plans.  I loved reading the books and having some deep discussions with students, but I felt like I was drowning in a sea of books, lesson plans, and response sheets!

Unfortunately, I didn't even know about TeachersPayTeachers at the time... that probably would have helped me a lot, too!  Instead, though, I spent countless hours creating graphic organizers, book response forms, and "skill bookmarks" to go along with most reading assignments. (Have I mentioned that I am a bit of a perfectionist?)  Just remembering those years makes me feel weary!

Near the end of that first year, I decided that it shouldn't have to be that difficult, and I started handing out more sticky notes and telling students to write some sort of response.  

Anyway, back to the anchor chart...I love it for several reasons.
1.  It keeps things simple!  This anchor chart could be hung in your library area and displayed all year long.
2.  It puts the responsibility on the reader.
3.  Students are reminded that comprehension and being an active reader is KEY!

I "dug up" and "dusted off" two more guided reading lesson plans I created a few years ago.  They are not fancy, and they were written to fit what my particular kiddos needed at that time.  Feel free to download them and decide if you could use any part of them.  (I'm leaving them in Word, so that you can easily edit them.  However, if they don't download properly for you, just leave me a comment with your email address, and I will be happy to send you a PDF version.) 
(Amazon affliliate links follow.)
FREE guided reading lesson plans written for the book Flat Stanley!
Click HERE to download my lesson plans for this popular book (Guided Reading Level M).
FREE guided reading lesson plans written for the book The Big Lie. This is a powerful, heart-wrenching story about the Holocaust.
Click HERE to download my lesson plans for this heart-wrenching, powerful story related to the Holocaust.
(Guided Reading Level T) 
(If you'd like to see the other free guided reading lesson plans I have available, click on the links below.)
Shiloh (Level R)
Flat Stanley (Level M)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb - I'm running terribly late. I did try to link up - maybe I'll make it on time next week - I have school on Monday and Tuesday (half day). I hope you're on break - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete