Five for Friday {8.15.14}

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching today for 

This is the last full week to spend with my daughters.  They head back to school next Thursday (and I begin my new "position" of being a full-time product creator for TpT!)  I have realized that it has been rather difficult to explain to my friends outside the world of education exactly what I will be doing this fall since I decided to take a year off from teaching.  I try to explain about the website, but they tend to stare at me with a confused expression on their face, or worse, an "Are you insane?!?" look.  I guess time will tell!
My partner play set is finally done!!  It has definitely been a "labor of love" over the past month to create this product, but I couldn't be happier with the result.  

I used Brooke, my daughter going into second grade, as my "guinea pig" to check the readability of various scripts, and she truly enjoyed them.  Kayla, my to-be-fourth grader, saw the fun we were having and insisted on reading some of the scripts, too.  She gave me the feedback to remove the word "mishap" from one script because "I'm a fourth grader, and I don't even know that word!"
 Anyway, I've included a link to a Partner Play FREEBIE at the bottom of this post, in case you want to check out a script!

Kayla, Brooke, and I tried to make the most of our last week together!  We crammed in a movie, a trip to the park, a few playdates, swimming with friends, bike rides, a walk to Rainbow Snow, and lunch with Dad at work into our final week together.  Whew!



The bad news for the week was that I found water on our basement floor last weekend.  Luckily, it was contained to the storage room and we didn't have to replace any carpet.  We've had record amounts of rainfall this summer where I live, so I feared it was caused by ground water, but it was actually the hot water heater that needed to be replaced.  What a job!

The silver lining in all of this is that my daughters found a new toy!  They each claimed a box (luckily there was the outside box and an inside box), and have been playing in them all week.  They even crawl inside and read each day!  I can't decide whether I should consider these toys expensive or cheap!

Kayla is reading before bed... yes, they even convinced us to let them sleep in their boxes one night this week!

Brooke got stuck with the inside box which was way less sturdy.  Thank goodness for duct tape!


Like most other TpT sellers, I have lists upon lists of future TpT resources I want to create... when I find the time.  Well, I actually crossed off TWO projects that have been on my to-do list for about 18 months!!  What a good feeling!

First, I updated my Synonym Rolls craftivity so that it contains an easier version (perfect for second graders or upper elementary students who would benefit from a worksheet with a lower readability level).

Second, I finally got around to creating an easier version of my best-selling product, my main idea cones!  Again, I tested them out on Brooke, my soon-to-be second grader, and it was a perfect fit for her!

           

I think I am done with school supply shopping!  It seems like there is always one item that alludes me, and I have to spend too much time searching it out.  This year it was the Deco magazine file that Kayla needs for fourth grade.  (Actually she needs TWO of these things.)  I was hoping to find one that matched the one she had last year, but the only metal one I could find cost $19.26!!!  I simply could NOT bring myself to spend $19 on one of these things!!!  Luckily, I spotted this one on the bottom shelf that "only" cost $10.

This $10 file is way cuter than the $19 one!

    
Well, that about wraps up my week!  I'm off to check other links to see what the rest of you have been up to!  Have a great weekend!

Oh yeah!  Here's that Partner Play FREEBIE I promised!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Partner-Play-FREEBIE-A-Loose-Tooth-a-2-person-scripts-to-improve-fluency-1348863Freebie Fridays


4 comments:

  1. You are so brave taking a year for TPT. I am currently thinking about it and feeling not so brave.
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think taking a year off to make products for TPT is such a courageous decision. I am looking forward to seeing all that you make and sending some dollars your way - I'm sure. :) I'm sorry for the water in your basement. We have had some water issues of our own here. I've been blogging about it this week. Craziness!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Amanda from His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your girls played with the boxes!! That's so fun!! Enjoy your last week of summer!! I can't wait to see all the amazing stuff you create this year!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you in taking some time off! I hope this works well for you. Your daughters are precious!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete