A Peek at My Thanksgiving Week

I am linking up again with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her weekly A Peek at my Week!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am very thankful for TpT this week!  I found so many great Thanksgiving resources that will allow me the opportunity to both continue teaching the standards, while at the same time recognize that it is Thanksgiving week, too!  Here are some great ones that have made their way into my lesson plans for the coming week...

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Thanksgiving-Common-Coreses-ELA-Centers-for-Upper-Elementary-962082I absolutely cannot wait to use Dianne's Thanksgiving centers with one of my fourth grade groups.  We will be using these fun Thanksgiving cards to review Author's Purpose, Figurative Language, and Greek and Latin Roots.  I highly suggest checking out this creative, engaging product if you haven't already.  I just know my students will love making their way through these "common core-ses"!

With my third graders, I am planning to read a handful of Thanksgiving books, and we will compare and contrast along the way.  I was so excited to find Kayla Root's Differentiated Thanksgiving Graphic Organizers. They are adorable, and my students can use the Venn diagram included in the packet to compare and contrast.  We are going to compare and contrast Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade, a biography by Melissa Sweet and Milly and the Macy's Parade, a historical fiction picture book by Shana Corey.  We will also read two fun turkey stories, The Amazing Turkey Race and its sequel, The Amazing Turkey Rescue.  Both books are by Steve Metzger, and the kids love them!

Also, I shared a few of my own Thanksgiving resources with the fifth grade classrooms in my school.  (I'm experiencing 5GW* this year; I really miss working with my fifth grade friends.  Although I worked with this grade level the past two years, this year's schedule did not allow me to work with them again, unfortunately.  However, I still pop in and offer my lesson ideas!)  I know that they are working on Main Idea right now, so I shared my Main Idea Turkey craftivity and my Main Idea/Best Title Thanksgiving worksheet packet with them.  I love that the fifth grade teachers often allow students to come show me their completed projects!

It's going to be a fun-filled, jam-packed Thanksgiving week!  Before I wrap up, I'd like to say thank you to YOU for reading my blog!

*5GW = 5th Grade Withdrawl!


  1. I love these short weeks! Great opportunity to step out of the regularly scheduled events to add in some extra fun! Looks like you've got some great plans.

    Have a very happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful that I "met" you in blog land this year! :)

    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

  2. Thank you for all the great Thanksgiving resources! I love the Main Idea turkeys. Enjoy the short week!

    Fit to be Fourth